Friday, March 23, 2018

The Choice is Yours: Part 6

That night, Enaj could not sleep.  He twisted and turned, thinking about what his grandfather told him, recalling his frail bearded figure dressed in ragged grey linens.  What if he was right, and Enaj was about to commit a terrible mistake, one he would regret for the rest of his life?  Were the actions of the masters and other orphans really enough to warrant murder?  The orphans had already suffered by not having parents.  On the other hand, they had all mistreated Enaj greatly.  Yet the tyrant was responsible for exiling beings who did not agree with him and for murdering many, so Rezam would definitely have to be eliminated.  Enaj wrestled with these questions for hours, and finally fell asleep, having made a decision and accepted it.
The next morning, the rebels were chattering excitedly.  This was the day when they would free the city from the tyranny of Rezam.  Enaj called a meeting of all the rebels.  
“There’s been a change of plans,” said Enaj nonchalantly.  “We are not - I repeat, not - going to murder anyone in the orphanage after all.  Instead, we will be storming the palace without a distraction.”
“Are you sure you want to do this?”  Inquired Yelraf.  “The choice is yours — either change the plan and save the innocent beings yet make success more difficult or achieve what you always wanted and get delicious revenge in the original foolproof plan.”
“I am sure” stated Enaj.  
“We had a plan that was a great plan, the best plan, and it put fewer of us in danger!” Yelraf shouted, drops of spit flying everywhere.  “We cannot change the plan at the dawn of the day when it is to be executed!”
“I happen to recall that the only person that would be in any real danger in the original plan was me,” retorted Enaj coldly.  “Tell me, Yelraf - are you afraid of Rezam’s army, my friend?  I suppose you are.  Very well then, how about we put it to a vote.”  
As the beings started to cast their votes, it was becoming clear that Yelraf’s side would win.  
Suddenly, Enaj yelled, “Stop!  Weapons are beings, my friends.  Let them vote, too.”  With the weapons voting, the swords and their allies, including Enaj, had a narrow majority of 51-49 against the daggers and their allies, including Yelraf.  
“I win!” Yelraf exclaimed.  "It takes sixty votes to confirm a change of plans after an original plan has been set.”
“I thought you were my friend, Yelraf.  Tell your side to confirm my change of plans” warned Enaj.  
“No,” proclaimed Yelraf.  “I am afraid I cannot do that.”
Enaj went nuclear.  His eyes flashed red, and he stabbed Yelraf right in the center of his body, killing him on the spot.  

“Fifty votes is all it takes.  Any objections?”  Nobody raised their hand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment